Monday, October 10, 2005

Chapter 6: The Skeleton Plane

Pros:
I think that so far, this has been the chapter that fits me best! I had created a "wireframe" two weeks ago and have been primarily working on it verses working online. I like the comfort and security of messing up on paper as compared to messing up online. I took advantage of a copier and made many copies of my basic "wireframe" so that each page has that consistency. Like the author suggests, Wayfinding, has been a tool I have been using. Color has been my main "Wayfinding" tool. Because my site is about quilts of the past, I will eventually be adding prints to correlate with the color scheme used to "tie" the pages together. The idea of having too much metaphor is hard for me though. I can see where this would become confusing, but I really like metaphors! My new goal...incorporate a drop down? I can see where it would/could be used...if it fits in my plans, I’ll try it!
Cons:
This chapter was much better about the business stuff! Educational sites have such different purposes...the book doesn’t really address audience as well as it should. (Chapter 3 discussed it but hasn’t really applied it’s results). I’ve been really critical of the sites I go to lately, and I’ve noticed that what the students find as useful, I have no need for...I can’t wait to test drive a more complete site with my students!